The history of Vertin-Munson Funeral & Cremation Service dates back to 1919 when the business, then owned by brothers Frank Vertin and Joseph Vertin, Sr., operated a funeral home and furniture store in "The Old Opera House" located at 403 Dakota Avenue in the building currently occupied by Snap Fitness. In 1937, Frank assumed responsibility for operating the Wahpeton locations while Joseph Vertin, Sr. and his three sons operated a corresponding funeral home and furniture store in Breckenridge, both under the name of "Joseph Vertin and Sons".
Upon Frank Vertin's retirement in 1947, Robert Caspers, Sr. and Russel Munson partnered to purchase the Wahpeton businesses from Frank Vertin. In 1961, they moved the funeral home operation from the furniture store to a new building at 503 Third Avenue North in Wahpeton. At the same time, Caspers and Munson bought the Schmitt and Poulton Funeral Home in Wahpeton and combined all funeral operations at the new location.
In 1961, after a tragic airplane accident claimed the lives of Russel Munson and his wife, Bella, Robert Caspers, Sr. became the sole owner of both the funeral home and furniture store, which operated for many years under the name, "Vertin's Wahpeton". Funeral director, Bun Munson (Russel’s brother), became the manager of the funeral home and faithfully served area families for more than five decades until his retirement in 2012; Bun died in early 2016.
In 1987, with the death of Robert Caspers, Sr., his son Craig---who had completed his funeral director licensure at the University of Minnesota---returned to work hand-in-hand with Bun Munson in operating the Wahpeton funeral home, about which time the name was changed to Vertin-Munson Funeral Home. Then, in January of 1992, Craig and Sue Caspers became the owners of the funeral home operation.
A dozen years later in 2004, and in order to more efficiently operate the three funeral homes in Wahpeton and Breckenridge, Vertin-Munson Funeral Home and Joseph Vertin & Sons Funeral Home/Willow Creek Chapel joined forces in a collaborative partnership. In 2009, the Vertin Family of Breckenridge acquired full ownership of the business. Craig and Sue continuing in management roles and providing high quality funeral service to area families.
In late 2015, construction began on a new Vertin-Munson funeral home facility on property located adjacent/west of the facility constructed in 1961. This property was acquired in recent years for the sole purpose of better serving the funeral service needs of area families going far into the future. The new location was completed in 2016 and opened its doors as Vertin-Munson Funeral& Cremation Service during a Grand Opening celebration on October 16, 2016.
Craig and Sue Caspers have since retired and the funeral home is now managed by funeral director, Lance Ehrlin.